While this is not everybody’s choice, some people will prefer to get rid of the hair around their genitals for various reasons.
One would probably ask, how healthy or even unhealthy is it to shave or not.
Health benefits of pubic hair
Pubic hair has some health benefits .
- Pubic hair prevents transmission of unwanted pathogens from transmitting to others
- Maintains the optimal temperature for the genitals
- It also reduces friction during sex and exercise
- It prevents dirt or other germs from entering the vagina.
Experts have since not seen the health benefits of shaving. They recommend that the pubic hair should be left as it is, but other women will shave for a number of reasons including :
- Maintaining hygiene during menstrual period
- Other women will shave because their partners requested they do so.
- Shaving gives a feeling of sexual confidence in others and many will make the effort to remove the hair before a sexual encounter.
- While others will get rid of the hair to remove pubic lice.
- A visit with a gynae too may prompt a woman to take the hair off.
Whether one decides to stay bare or bushy, shaving is a personal choice.
If one decides to shave, carefully consider the options , safety being a priority.
Most common ways of getting rid of pubic hair at home
Use a clean pair of scissors. This is the easiest and safest way of getting the hair off.
Sharp scissors make the work easier because they do not tug on the hairs.
The easiest way to trim your pubic hair is while seated in front of a mirror.
2. Razor Blade /Gillete
Have a clean razor, preferably a new razor for every shave. When using Gillette, ensure the blades are sharp and clean.
Wet the hair and apply some soap to lubricate the skin and also help to keep the blade moving smoothly across your skin.
Shave gently in the direction the hair grows.
Apply shaving cream to reduce the risk of itchiness.
No shaving cream? Apply glycerine or aloe vera. Works wonders!
3. Applying pubic hair removal creams
Creams meant for hair removal on lady parts are available in almost every supermarket or pharmacy.
Do a spot test to ensure your skin does not react to the depilatory.
Read the instructions written on the cream cover.
Apply on the pubic hair without touching the genital parts. Most depilatory creams come with an applying device. Wait for a few mintes and then wipe off the hair.
Ensure you wash thoroughly after you wipe off the hair.
4. Shaving machine
This is another easy way of shaving. All you need is a good shaving machine. They could cost as low as Kshs 2000 to Kshs 10000.
Some are electronic while others use battery.
Sit in front of a mirror as you shave your hair and shave slowly and keenly.
Apply shaving cream or glycerine after you are through.
Have your own pair of tweezers just for the pubic hair.
Make sure the room has a generous amount of lighting.
Hold the skin tight, grab the end of the hair between the two tweezer prongs, and gently yank the hair out in the direction that hairs grow.
Be gentle as you pluck out the hairs lest you damage your skin or hair follicle. This could lead to an infection.
The advantage of tweezing is that it doesn’t grow back quickly.
Be ready to scream!
But the good thing about waxing is that it is very effective for removing hair for a long period of time.
Some women will ask their partners to help them wax off the hair at the comfort of their home.
Other salons offer home services and a professional comes over to do the waxing.
Hot wax is applied on the hair. Waxing strips are placed on the parts with wax. Then the strips are gently pulled away.
The hair will be off and may not grow for about five to six weeks.
Possible consequences of removing pubic hair :
- Razor burn (rash)
- Chemical burn from over-the-counter cream hair removers (depilatories)
- Cuts, pimples and/or blisters
- Infection in the hair root
If you develop a rash, red bumps, or itching on your pubic area, there are remedies you can try at home. Symptoms usually go away within a couple of weeks.
- Soak in a warm tub or take a shower and let the warm water spray your pubic area
- Pat the skin (don’t rub) with a soft towel or dry with a hair dryer on the low setting
- Apply a fragrance-free lotion
- Stop shaving for a while